Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Day



Today is Leap Day, literally and figuratively. My last day at CDPH has ended, and as I anticipated, the feelings I am left with as I ride the light rail home for the last time are mixed. I am excited about the opportunity that lies ahead, and the chance to pursue a dream, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared. This really is a leap of faith. I'm leaving behind a good paying job to work for fruits, vegetables, and a small stipend. I'm leaving behind a team of smart, passionate, and incredibly hardworking colleagues who are making California a healthier place to live (and as a bonus are also fun to hang out with!) to join a new team.

Leaving still doesn't feel real, and I imagine it won't for a while. I will miss my CDPH colleagues tremendously. CDPH has been my home for nearly five years, and I have made many friends along the way. My co-workers threw me a party this week to say goodbye and I don't know the last time I felt so loved. I joked that it felt a bit like attending my own funeral, with everybody saying such nice things about me. The kind words were a gift in and of themselves. But to top it all off, there was a physical gift--pruners, harvesting shears, and a gift card for purchasing much-needed farm supplies, like a big hat and a gallon of sunscreen. I was truly touched by the generosity.  Many thanks!

My apprenticeship at Soil Born Farms begins next Tuesday, giving me a few days to physically and mentally prepare for my new job.  Time to spend that gift card...

No comments:

Post a Comment